background

11 January 2012

Craving Winter

Being a San Diego native, I did not grow up seeing snow in an annual cycle of weather patterns. Truthfully, until I moved to Massachusetts for grad school, I had only seen snow twice in my entire life. But those years being stuck in a lab taught me so much more than how to be a scientist, I've also learned to appreciate all that winter has to offer. First, mother nature gets you ready for the cold and gives you the oh-so-glorious fall season. Brisk in the mornings and afternoons, fall lets you know that soon it will be REALLY cold. Enjoy your outdoor non-snow activities because they will be out the window as soon as the fluffy white stuff, blistering cold winds and ice galore comes-a-knockin'.

Winter allows you to slow down your pace too. Enjoy that book & don't feel guilty that you should be outside playing in the sunshine. Snowshoeing with your spouse and dog sure makes you appreciate the value of a bowl of soup. Suddenly, your urge to go out right now to the store or the mall or anywhere for that matter, is curbed. Thank you God! I love winter.

I love it despite the cost of heating even the smallest apartment. I love winter though I am scared to death of slipping on ice, or worse, my car slipping on ice! I love it for what summer is not... slow and relaxed.

Dear winter, where are you??

1 comment:

bhartman said...

You and I could not be more different about the love of seasons. I am a "loving that summertime all year long weather" kind of girl. I would go nuts having to stay indoors because of the snow... but I love how you explained the slowing down and appreciating it all. Bless your soul.