background

23 February 2009

Loon

Well, I got back Sunday night from a 3-day trip up to Lincoln, NH where I spent a significant amount of time skiing at Loon Mountain. It was really phenomenal. Friday and Saturday was a bit crowded because it was winter break for kids at public schools in MA but Sunday was incredible!

The first day was kinda funny because I was promised a "green" (aka- easy) slope but there wasn't one. I had to go down a blue slope on my second time ever on skis. I made it down without wiping out, but it was seriously stressful. About halfway down a guy ran into me, knocking me over and twisting my knees. After that, I told him that it was only my second time ever on skis and that there wasn't a green slope like I was promised. So I got a private tutorial to get me almost to the bottom. (He happened to be a ski instructor who wasn't paying attention when he ran into me). I survived and on Saturday I got up and did it again after I managed to figure out where the green slopes were.

Originally I had not planned on skiing on Sunday because I was going to drive home and do laundry and get ready for my week. But, when I woke up that morning, it was beautiful and snowing so I decided to put in another day. I am so glad that I did. There was nobody on the slopes. I would look behind me and see nobody, I would look ahead and see nobody. It was as if I had the entire mountain to myself. It was glorious. I'm really starting to get a hang of this skiing thing. I was able to stay loose and really work on my technique. Considering that I've only been on skis 4 times now (once for each day this weekend) I think I'm doing alright. I can get down in decent time, stop, turn, etc. I'm looking forward to doing this more often.

I'll post pictures as soon as I remember to bring my link to work.

No comments: