background

13 March 2011

It's official...

Well ladies and gentlemen, it's official. I'll be defending my dissertation in late July/early August this summer! That means that my committee said "go" and all is well with the world. I have a few things to wrap up with my paper I still need to submit, but otherwise, I'm good to go. My TRAC meeting went well, but I'll say this, I was surprisingly more sensitive than I expected to be when we were taking a good hard look at my work. I guess when you pour your heart and soul into a project for 4 years you take some of these comments more personally than you might if you had nonchalantly floated through graduate research only to eventually arrive at the end of the tunnel expecting them to hand you a PhD. Not me. I agonized over every experiment I did. Many of them I thought up when I was preparing for my qualifying exam in my 2nd year. I am proud to say that I actually did those experiments and they are significantly contributing to my dissertation research. I'll have to toughen up for my defense.

I haven't had a perfect track record with grad school. Like most, it came with ups and downs... but I will finish. Thank God.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Like!

Anonymous said...

Well done girl! And remember it's their job to make comments and criticize, they have to come up with something.