background

20 December 2010

Montreal & Munich

En route to Athens, we had about a 10 hour layover in Montreal. We decided that instead of sitting in an airport all day that we would adventure off to Montreal, where neither of us had ever been, and see the sights. We saw a few things. We walked all day long (which helped us sleep on the overnight plane ride to Athens) and that was about it. One of the coolest things that we saw was the Notre Dame Cathedral. Wow! It was incredible. We spent a significant amount of time admiring all of the hand-crafted woodwork that was inside the cathedral and the stained glass and the list goes on. Montreal had lots to see. There is a wonderful river walk where you can peacefully enjoy the city's beauty. There was a restaurant and art district where we leisurely strolled in the afternoon. It was nice. I'm glad we went. I'm not sure I'll ever take the time to go back. Although we only saw downtown, I'm satisfied enough to say I've been there!






Munich was on our way home from Greece. We were in the city for about 5 hours. The train to and from the airport took up about 2 of those hours, but it was still better than sitting in the airport. We went to Marienplatz and wandered around there. I wanted Dave to see the famous glockenspiel and take him to eat at the famous HofbrÀuhaus. Well, it had been over a year since I'd been to Munich and so my instinct said to go a certain way. So we started walking to this brewery and Dave looked at the map and said, "I think we're going the wrong way". Well, I decided that he was probably right so we walked to the place where he said we should aim and ended up at the train station (hofbahnhof) instead! Oops! Oh well. We hopped on a quick subway back to Marienplatz and before we knew it, we were eating at our destination. It was nice. Hopefully we'll make it back sometime!


No comments: