background

24 March 2009

Talk Titles

OK, so, I just got an e-mail reminding me that I'm presenting at this month's IIDC seminar. This basically includes everyone who works on my floor in the LRB at UMass Med and a couple of miscellaneous participants. This seminar is particularly good because the people who will be there will actually understand my research, they'll have valuable input for project directions AND they serve cheese and fruit and beer to keep everyone occupied from 3:30 to 5pm.

Anywhoo, the point is, I had to provide a title for the talk that I am going to give. I hate titles that are basically run-on sentences that spill the beans before you even get there. I try to be creative.

Previous seminar titles of mine have been:
"TB murder by Host Cell Suicide"
"M.tb's Prime Time before Execution"
-- this one was around Halloween and I found a vintage Italian propaganda poster picturing the Grim Reaper that warned people about the dangers of tuberculosis-- awesome!

I submitted two titles this time in case the first isn't adequate.
"Cell Death Rescue Mission Leaves Two Dead"
(the "Two" referring to M.tb and the infected cell... genious!!
The more dull alternative is "M. tuberculosis and Macrophages"... I'm hoping the guy in charge will choose the first one. However, I have learned that all I have to do to get people to show up to my talks is to put "M. tuberculosis" in the title. It's really amazing...

No comments: