background

16 June 2010

Farm Stand Lettuce


Yesterday I went to my local farm stand and came home with two HUGE bags of produce for $16. I love New England for this! The produce is usually very good and always fresh. Although it isn't "organic" it was usually grown locally and I like that. What I like to do is to wash and prep all the fruit and veggies when I get home from the store because if I don't, it sits and rots in my fridge never to be eaten. If it's already prepared, all I've got to do is open up the fridge and wha-la, it's ready to eat. So last on the list of things to wash and cut is lettuce because it means that I've got to soak the lettuce first then spin it in the salad spinner. I reached into the bag to pull out my head of lettuce and it is by far the most beautiful specimen I've ever seen. It makes the finest grocery store lettuce look wilty and gross. The leaves are so thick and green... with amazing texture. I can't wait for my sandwich today because it's going to be full of it!

1 comment:

LuLu said...

Fresh veggies are amazing!