background

09 July 2008

Swimming


So now I begin something new. Since my foot makes it unwise for me to continue commuting by bike (until I get it all straightened out) I have started swimming in the mornings. I joined the Worcester Greendale YMCA and the cost is $39/month for students. The facility is very nice. This Y was just rennovated. There are 2 pools, new gym equipment, 8 indoor clay tennis courts and plenty of classes. Monday morning the pool was very crowded. Today it was much better. I skipped Tuesday because I needed to be in the lab early. I suppose that will happen occasionally. As for the pools, there is one for old people and children (higher temp) and another pool that they keep cooler for those truly exerting themselves. Both are lap pools but I prefer swimming in the main (cooler) pool.

For those who know me, you are aware that I am half fish and love to swim, so this is not a totally bad change for me. The bad news is that now I need to pay for a gym membership in the summer which I generally try to avoid becuase I prefer being outdoors. I'm moving slowly in the pool right now... it's been a few months since I've swam, but I am hopeful that I will be get quicker soon. My upper body (which is usually my strong point) is weaker than usual- probably because I haven't been lifting due to lack of a gym membership. So I think I'll also start lifting weights again too in order to improve my strength in the pool. I don't like feeling slow. I like doing the same sets and times that I did in high school... which I was doing all last year... but then I took a break. I have high hopes though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Y! Carie and I are thinking of changing gyms and joining that Y.

Anonymous said...

you totally should! it is so awesome!! then we could play tennis in the middle of winter!