background

31 July 2008

Horseneck Beach

Yesterday I went with a friend of mine to Horseneck Beach in Westport, MA with my friend Laura Daman. It worked out because this week again is slow for me and next week won’t be, so I decided to hit the beach. Laura is a teacher and is spending her summer volunteering and tutoring but Wednesday is her ‘play day’. It was a perfect beach day (hard to come by in New England): 85°F with a water temp of ~70°F. I had to go into work in the morning for a bit, but I made it to Laura’s by about 1:30 and we were at the beach by 3pm. By then, many people were leaving, but as far as we were concerned we only missed bigger crowds and the really intense sun. Both of us are super fair skinned so we were glad to miss the latter. We swam, we read, I walked around and took some pictures. Have I mentioned that I LOVE the New England coast?!? It is soo different than what I am used to in CA and each beach is a little bit different, yet the same. We left the beach around 6:30 and then found a place that the locals like to go to for fish and chips and ice cream. It was a really great day.

Here's some interesting side notes about New England Beaches:
1. they decorate sand castles with rocks instead of shells
2. Laura said "wow- this beach has really great waves" (anyone in CA may have thought we were at the bay)
3. The lifeguards are mostly all high-schoolers working a summer job because there is no need for year-round guards
4. lots of rocks
5. grainy (not soft) sand... although, the further south you go- like Rhode Island and about where we were, the softer the sand gets
6. bath houses and concessions
7. nearby clam shacks
8. lighthouses
9. sand dunes
10. you have to pay for parking










No comments: