background

03 June 2009

German Surfers

Germany is not totally land-locked. Parts of its borders in the north touch the ocean, but I am unsure about whether there are waves there. As a surfer girl myself, I am very keen on watching surfing. While in Heidelberg, my friend Andrea and I spotted a guy in a wet suit paddling up the Nekar on a short-board. There are absolutely zero waves on that river except perhaps the residual wake from a boat passing. I hollered down at the guy and said, “Yo dude, you should head out to California for some real surf!” I think he was totally startled, but he yelled back up, “Ya, I like to surf in Australia and France!” Then he just continued paddling for the shore. You can see him below. It totally cracked me up!



There were more surfers in Munich on the Isar in the English Garden. The difference is, there is a man-made wave that comes along that people line up to do some surfing solos. One major difference here is the direction of the water-flow when you are on the wave. Another major difference is that you aren’t allowed to surf there. Nobody stops these crazy dudes because there is a sign posted saying that you aren’t allowed to surf there. That way, if you get hurt, you can’t sue because you were warned!

No comments: