background

11 June 2009

The People of Munich

I just realized that the week is flying by... and here I am letting pictures sit in my private files! I am at a loss... my brain is on overload, so I think that I will tell you about some of the fun times I had in Munich that didn't involve me seeing historical things.

In Munich, I stayed at my friend Peter's apartment. He lives with his fantastic girlfriend Barbara just a couple minutes walk after you get off the subway at the Kolumbusplatz exit (if you can figure out which set of stairs to take up to the street level).

He lives in the same building as his friend Mathias and since they hang out a lot, I also had the pleasure of his company each night the group of us went out. (Pictured below here with me)

One of the nights I was there, Peter had some friends over, including his brother Klause (below right) and he made pizza's and we all hung out. It was loads of fun... not to mention the pizza's were fantastic!

I also met up with my friend Mike who I have known for about 4 years now. We used to go to the same church out here in MA and he has been living out in Munich for about 2 years now. It was good to see him, but I didn't see much of him because he was moving apartments so we couldn't catch up until my last day. But we enjoyed a good lunch and a good chat at the famous Hofbrauhaus.

I also did a bike tour of the city while I was there. I went solo because Barbara and Peter and Mathias had to work so I just cruised. It was a nice tour (minus the tourguide). It was a "free" bike tour (you only tip what you want to at the end) but they try to get you to tip big by trying to make it funny. Our tourguide, Lenny (the name alone should have been enough of a warning sign), was mostly crude and not funny. It was terrible, absolutely nobody laughed at pretty much anything he said, but he kept going. Unbelievable. But anyhow, I did meet a nice lady, Mary, on the tour. She has four kids, the oldest of whom is my age, but nobody wanted to do the tour with her so she was solo too. She was nice and we were able to chat quite a bit. Later on in the evening, after the tour, she saw me walking across the courtyard and she hollered for me to come join her and her family for a beer. I had nothing better to do, so I thought, why not? So I sat with them for an hour or so and just chatted... it was fun.

So those are the people of Munich... more about my adventures another day!

No comments: