background

18 June 2009

Things that stood out while in Germany:

1. Graffiti-- It was everywhere. Heidelberg, Munich, Bonn, Cologne, Frankfurt. According to my friends that live there, the punishment is not harsh enough for the "artists" and so it never stops. It was really ugly.

2. Public Displays of Affection-- Everywhere I went, there were people full-on-making-out in public. Normally, in the US it would be teenagers... but in Germany, it was people of all ages. I was a little bit bothered by the number of couples that I saw all over each other in public. On water fountains, in parks, at restaurants... everywhere. I pointed this out to my friend Andrea and she said "well, it's spring time".

3. Men in Capri Pants-- in the US, if a guy wears capri pants, an American will think that person is gay. It is just not common. In Germany however, there were guys everywhere in capri's or "cropped pants" (whichever sounds better to you).

4. Grocery Differences-- eggs are not kept in the refrigerated section of the supermarket (I don't know why, but I thought that was gross) and there are two types of milk "fresh" milk and the kind of milk that has been super-boiled (as explained to me). Neither was found in the refrigerated section. Also, if you want beef, good luck. Pork is everywhere, but you've got to get to the store first thing if you want beef.

5. Bikes-- Have you ever seen a woman in a skirt suit and heels riding her bike to work? I have. I loved the sight of it. I mostly only witnessed that in Munich, but there were people on bikes everywhere. The cool thing about it was that it was so common that cars were really aware of bicyclists.

6. Ice Cream-- It is perfectly acceptable, by all standards, to be eating an ice cream at 10am on a hot day. Everyone's doing it...

7. Beer-- Obviously. Breakfast lunch and dinner. (Depending on the person).

8. Bra Straps-- They don't care how much of their undergarment is showing... so you shouldn't either.

No comments: