background

14 September 2009

14 Septemner 2009


I don't know what to call this, so there it is. Today is Monday. I really don't like Monday's... especially today. I tried to go count colonies in the BSL3 lab only to find out that it is shut down until 11 am today. Apparently there were 2 e-mails sent out about this, but it seems that this didn't register in my cute little head so now I'm frustrated because I didn't pay attention. Ridiculous? Yes. But at least I'm not blaming someone else for what is clearly my own fault.

I'm also giving lab meeting tomorrow and haven't begun putting my presentation together. To be honest, I've been really busy with some other things so I haven't really been thinking much about work at all this past week. You see, in January I had a 2nd car go up in smoke (on the highway in the middle of a snowstorm) so I bought a new one thinking I would drive it for a good 15 years. But now it seems that it's quite possible that I will be going abroad for a bit of time and so instead of making a car payment, I'm saving up. Sold that car and am now looking for another "junker" to last me until I graduate. The reason I did very little for work all week was because I've been busy looking at and test driving vehicles. I think I found one. 1997 Honda Accord 75,000 miles. Manual transmission. One owner. In great shape if they fix the knob that turns on the heater.

As you can see, I'm really working hard on my lab meeting. Problem #1: I'm sooo not motivated it's insane. I want to sleep and cry and go surfing all at once. I don't care about work or my colonies or my project. I sorta just want to be done and leave. I'm tired of people and drama and more drama. Problem #2: I have so much to do over the course of the next month it is INSANE... and because I have SO much to do, I'm a bit paralyzed by it all. I just have to remember... one thing at a time.

I did do one fun thing over the weekend. On Friday I went sailing with a guy that I met recently. We had a good time. I almost capsized the boat because I cannot multi-task. I was trying to have a conversation and sail the boat at the same time... "try" is the key word. He made fun of me for that. He's a guy and even he could do both things at once. Well, what can I say... I'm a piece of work. But by the end of it, I was getting the hang of it. I really like to test the capabilities of equipment that I use. In order to do that, I had to see how far I could push the boat before it would flip. :-) (Although preferably without actually flipping it.) We decided that we need a bigger sail next time so we could go faster. Good times...

No comments: