background

18 October 2009

Sunday's Accomplishments

Today was a snowy day. I had wanted to do some work on my talk that I'm giving on Tuesday, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. Instead I did a bunch of stuff around the house... after a trip to Walmart and the making of a three-bean soup.

I painted my ugly green yucky $5 yard sale table. I thought it was black... but it was clearance pre-tinted Walmart paint and it ended up being more of a midnight blue. The good news is that it's dark. That's what I wanted. And for $3, I'm happy with the result.


While waiting for the first coat of paint to dry on the table, I constructed a cabinet for my bathroom AND I even hung it by myself. It's level and everything. I'm amazing. Of course after all the construction there was vacuuming and cleaning required... the list grows and grows...


Then I made chocolate cupcakes with Penuche Filling. "Penuche" comes from a Mexican word meaning "raw sugar" or "brown sugar". It is used to describe a fudgelike candy made from brown sugar, butter, milk and vanilla. (It has a caramel taste to it). I made them for my friend Laura's birthday. It was Saturday, but I figured we could have some cake on Monday to celebrate. She's the lab manager of our lab and always remembers everyone's birthday. I totally flaked on her day, so hopefully it will be OK that we're celebrating after the fact instead of the Friday before... oops!


My chairs in the kitchen have been rough getting in and out of when I eat there in the mornings. So I put some sliders on the bottoms of all 4 chairs and the table too. Busy work...


I got a lot done. I'm ready to focus on my seminar and grant writing this week...

No comments: