background

17 June 2008

Blueberry Pie

So, it is officially blueberry season in New England. They grow like crazy in Maine and they are very on sale these days. I really like blueberries and I like to bake, so I thought I’d give baking a pie a shot. I had never baked a pie before last night… so I was unsure about the results. The good news is, I brought the pie to lab meeting this morning so I could test my concoction on lab members. The crust was unique in that it called for cornmeal to be added. I liked this because it gave the crust a great texture. The filling was basically 5 cups of blueberries, ½ cup sugar, ½ cup lemon juice and ¼ cup corn starch. I served it with lemon cream to go on top of it… amazing. Lemon + blueberry = wonderful. Although I don’t much care for baked goods, I know that others do… I thought it was ok, but most of my co-workers thought it was a great pie. Which is amazing because I baked this during my 2.5 hour break that I had between 7:30 and 10pm in lab. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So just to let you know that blueberries are my favorite.

Unknown said...

i am glad to hear that it turned out well. that story went differently than i had expected upon reading the title. as i recall your cooking ventures used to involve a little more math than is usually required, i.e. 2x the heat for .5x the time. although this may sound like a logical formula, for some reason i distinctly remember the taste of melted spatula plastic in my eggs...