background

13 June 2008

Crazy Crazy

This week has been absolutely nuts. I'm super busy in lab. Translation: I have way more to do than is humanly possible and I'm doing my best to not let that paralyze me. But to be honest, I kinda like it this way, I hate being bored. I got some really exciting data (nerdy, I know) so things are changing and moving quickly. The only problem is that TB doesn't move quickly... vertically at least. I do an experiment and I have to wait around 3 weeks to find out if it works because it grows so slowly. The dilemma: what do I do in those 3 weeks? This is very troubling... I don't want to spin my wheels on something that may turn out to be a waste, but oppositely, I don't want to lose any time.

My solution to this problem is the following: Starting this past Monday, I will do a different experiment each week (1 experiment takes about 1-1.5 weeks) for 3 weeks. Then, before I repeat any single experiment I should know if it worked the first time. This way, I’ve started 3 different things thus regardless of how things turn out, I will not have wasted any time. Of course, in between all of these big week-long experiments I’ve got cloning to do, a virus to make, data to analyze and papers to read. So, if it takes me a while to get back to you, whether e-mail or phone, please don’t be offended. These days, time to check and/or respond to e-mails is scarce.

The experiment that I designed for this coming Monday is pretty intense and requires me to work all next weekend. But, it’s an important experiment and will hopefully give me some solid data. Next week is way worse than this week… so hopefully it won’t be so hot I can’t sleep because that really made this week rough.

My mantra: work hard so you can graduate!

No comments: