background

03 April 2010

Around the World

DON'T ASK YOURSELF WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS. ASK YOURSELF WHAT MAKES YOU COME ALIVE, AND GO DO THAT, BECAUSE WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS IS PEOPLE WHO HAVE COME ALIVE. {JOHN ELDREDGE}

As usual, to avoid doing things that need doing on a GORGEOUS Saturday morning, here I sit, on my futon with a lake-side view with the door wide open with the scent of spring floating in, browsing Facebook. My sweet David left early for a base jump and is now 'getting current' so he can be a safe skydiving instructor when the season begins at the end of the month. So here I sit, reading about other people's adventures while I *don't* do my taxes. But I'm on my way to my desk... I promise.

But as Facebook does, it often "suggests" people that you may know to add as friends on Facebook. One popped up and as it turns out, I didn't know her that well, but I was friends with her husband throughout college. I clicked on the link because I'm often curious about what people are up to and what they are doing with their lives. Well, on her FB page, I saw a link to their blog (often way more telling than a FB page), so I clicked on it and discovered a well-documented, amazing adventure that they went on in 2008. A trip around the world. Just shy of 7 months of traveling (you can click on the title of this blog for their travel itinerary). They booked 'round the world tickets and were given twenty flights to jump around the world at their leisure. The pictures are incredible. The stories are sometimes unbelievable. It's fantastic.

It inspires me to do something like that. I'm not sure I ever will. If I'm lucky, maybe shortened versions of something similar. But it's awesome. I would do it in an instant. My heart absolutely longs for adventure. Still. I really think that all I needed was the one move to New England to get that ball rolling... otherwise I'm certain that I would have been too scared to leave my safe haven of San Diego.

At www.around-the-world.com they claim that you can fly around the world for just a little more than you could a round trip ticket to only one of your destinations... about $1500 each. I SOOOO want to do this. You'd still have to pay for food and lodging etc. but how cool would that be? Maybe some day...

1 comment:

Mom said...

That's my adventure girl! I hope all of your dreams come true!