background

05 April 2010

Easter Sunday

Easter for Dave and I out here in Worcester really was a non-event. We went to church in the morning. We laid out in the sun by the lake in the afternoon. We took it easy. We went out to visit with friends John and Marianne for about an hour. We hadn't seen them in forever and so that was nice. They were supposed to come for dinner a couple weekends ago, but they've both been so sick that they couldn't make it. They are better now so we chatted for a bit. Marianne had nice baskets with Easter chocolate in them for us. It was really sweet. Driving home, I remembered I had my camera with me so we busted it out and I took a picture of my insanely handsome boyfriend. Without expecting it, he all of a sudden turned to me with this big-ol' grin on his face. I absolutely can't believe that I captured it... I was lauging so hard.

Then he took the camera from me and took my photo- this time, posed.


On Saturday I had worked a bit in the lab and noticed that one of the new visiting students from Denmark, Soren is his name, was also there and that his sister was in town for two weeks. I quickly invited them to come on over and take the canoe out on the lake sometime over the weekend. I'm not sure he knew it was Easter so he called at around 9:30am asking if 4pm was ok. I said sure, come on over (since I knew Dave and I would be home). At this point we weren't sure exactly what to do because we were planning on barbecuing some shrimp, asparagus and potatoes for dinner and that would have been about the time that they were done with their little excursion out on the lake. We didn't want to be rude and be eating dinner in front of them. Ultimately we decided since it was Easter and we had a bit of extra food, that we would invite them to join us for dinner as well. When they arrived, they were thrilled with the invitation... although I thought it would be only two extra people, it was actually 3, but oh well.

It was Dave's idea to make an appetizer to "fill them up" in case it turned out we didn't have enough food at the meal, so I threw together some hummus topped with feta cheese and green onions to be eaten with carrots and Triscuits. For dinner we had 1.27 lbs of shrimp, one large bunch of asparagus, one round loaf of San Francisco Sourdough bread and 7 small potatoes to feed them with. We tried to buy some more beers (I only had one 6-pack of IPA that I keep on hand because that's what David likes to drink) but everywhere that sells alcohol was closed. Fortunately Soren's girlfriend Coralie didn't drink and so we had enough. At the end of it all, we had leftover maybe a spoonful of potatoes and one slice of bread. That was all. Fortunately, I did have some mint ice cream on hand, which they all loved... I am hoping that with the addition of a dessert, they had enough to eat!! Of course if we had planned on having a dinner party, we would have had more food. As Dave pointed out, we had about the bare minimum of shrimp and that if we were to do it again, for 5 people, we would need about 2 pounds total, not 1.3 pounds. But it is how things go sometimes. I was glad that they stayed for dinner... it was very nice. We had about 3 hours of eating and talking out on the patio on a gorgeous spring evening.

Here's the master griller, David.


Here are our visitors, on the left is Soren. In the middle, his sister Mette and on the right, his girlfriend Coralie.

No comments: