background

01 May 2009

Another Gamble

So, I received an e-mail from a friend and he had mentioned that he had a paper coming down the pipeline soon... I have yet to put out a first author paper for my research so I told him "Good for you... and I am insanely jealous that you're putting out another paper". Well... he wrote back confessing that he wasn't quite writing the paper yet but that perhaps soon he would be and "of course you're jealous, not everyone can be as brilliant as me" (in jest of course). Well, I thought, I'm going to make him work for that self-proclaimed brilliance assessment... so I started a little game.

I don't know how close he is to publishing his data... but I could be equally close... I've got about 4 figures and I may only need 5-7 depending on the journal. So I started a game. The game goes like this. Whoever publishes first wins. However, since he doesn't work on M.tuberculosis (and therefore doesn't have to wait three weeks for his data to grow) and he's a senior post-doc in his lab with much more experience than me, I get a little grace period. If I publish my paper within 4 months of his in a better journal, then I win and he will have to renounce his title as the winner.

We shall see...

No comments: