background

03 May 2009

Compliments

So, I don't really know how to introduce this one because it's a long story. It's about a colleague and friend. We met at a meeting that brought people from all over the world together for a common cause- TB. I was very glad to meet him because #1- he taught me how to ski and #2- he reminded me that although I’m not dating anyone now, there are more guys out there that I connect with… all of the ‘good ones’ are not taken. (#2 was something that I really needed to be reminded of).

Anyhow, he made a comment about going home to watch soccer, excuse me, football alone with a beer after a rough day at work. To be honest, this guy is in his mid-thirties and he is smart, funny, athletic and handsome, so it didn't make sense to me why someone with all of those qualities would be single- especially because he lives in a lively city and not in Worcester! He lives on another continent and is just a friend, so I told him what I thought of him and asked him how it is possible that he is still single, me thinking maybe he just is shy and needs someone to tell him he's great to get going.

He gave a long answer, which all made sense to me, but he followed up with “Oh, and for what it's worth, you are ridiculously beautiful, very funny, very
 smart, a dream to kiss and, at times, endearingly sassy ;)”. I was not expecting to hear anything like that, and it made me blush, but I was thinking how sometimes a compliment like that can just make someone’s day. It’s something that people who are not in relationships hear very often and it really made me feel good about myself… especially because it did not come from someone who is supposed to say stuff like that (like a family member or long-time girlfriend).

Meanwhile, I’ve still got my eye on the prize (graduating), and am anticipating meeting someone to share my life with… whenever & wherever that will be.

No comments: