background

08 May 2009

I’m gettin’ there…

OK, so, I am going to be doing some microscopy soon using a dye that has a change in the excitation wavelength based on the pH of the compartment of the cell that the dye is in. It’s insanely complicated. Although I understand the basic principals behind the method, the art of setting up the microscope properly is going to be a challenge. Yesterday I spent some time with a professor here talking about the theory and some time talking about how to set up the microscope. My problem is that I’m a bit of a perfectionist and I want to get it right the first time. I am going to spend a considerable amount of time today trying to cement the chemistry of it all into my small brain. Then, hopefully next week, I’ll give it a go. I’ve been assured that it is “easy” and that “I can do it” but I decided to wait to do this until I have had more time to think it through… despite being encouraged to just “go for it” yesterday. Usually I’m all in for “going for it” but I really want to make sure that I get it first. We’ll see.

No comments: