background

09 April 2008

My New Commuting Style (weather permitting)


Today I began my new commute to work. I'll be riding my sweet sweet bike. I bought this bike when I moved to MA as sort of a substitute to my surf board. (They don't compare- AT ALL- but I take what I can get). The ride to work was pretty good. The map says its 4.99 miles, but my bike computer that measures the actual distance says 5.4 miles and it took me 27 minutes to get to work. (I hit basically every red light). This is the short ride to work. My friend Katie directed me to a website called http://www.mapmyride.com/ its pretty helpful for planning a good bike route. Here's the route I took this morning:



Coming home, I think I'll take the longer route. It will be about 7.2 miles and much more scenic (the opposite of the shorter route). I'm hoping that I won't get lost since I'll be taking some back roads... but that's one of the things that I think give New England its charm. We'll see. Here's my evening route:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Michelle,
I like the ride. I take my bike to work also with the El Dorado transit. I like it I get to nap an the freeway and then have an awsome ride on my bike! I go rain or shine its all good to me. Take care..see you in May!!!

Katie Ferguson said...

Good for you! :) Did you get lost? You know what drives me crazy about New England backroads? THEY AREN'T LABELED, especially when you need them. Sometimes you come out at an intersection and it labels the street you were on, but not the cross-street. Real helpful. Happy commuting!

PS - I <3 map my ride. So cool. The elevation profile is my particular favorite feature.